Birnam Forensic Community Mental Health Team
The First Step
Skills for Work
Training & Certificates
Real Work Experience
Employers & Job Matching
Links with Employers
In Work Support & Aftercare
In Work Support
Contact Info -
Anna Miller, Occupational Therapist
Birnam Day Care, Murray Royal Hospital
Contact Numbers -
On the web -
Opening Hours -
Mon - Fri 9am-5pm
The Occupational Therapists in Birnam FCMHT work with individuals at all stages of the employability pipeline, supporting them to engage in personally purposeful and meaningful activity which is individually graded and supported at an appropriate level.
- The Occupational Therapists support individuals to identify appropriate pro-social activities of interest in their local community and provide graded support to engage in these, to promote development of a positively structured weekly routine. Activity groups are offered by the Birnam FCMHT team and the Occupational Therapy department, as well as promoting integration into more mainstream community groups wherever possible.
- Individual assessment and activity analysis allows vocational activities to be appropriately graded and adapted to match the individual.
- Individuals are supported in a variety of pre -vocational and employability skills, such as identification of skills, interests and areas for development, help to develop an up to date CV, support with communication and interview skills, accessing training opportunities, job search activities and contacting potential employers or establishing links with voluntary organisations. Where appropriate, individuals are also encouraged to link in with other members of the Employability Network for additional support with specific work related activity.
- The Occupational Therapists continue to seek opportunities and develop positive working relationships throughout Tayside to challenge the stigma that mentally disordered offenders face in attempts to overcome barriers to employment and widen work related opportunities available.
- All individuals in any type of work placement or employment are provided with regular ongoing support from the Occupational Therapists and the wider FCMHT, to sustain their positive engagement in work related activities, overcome potential barriers as they arise and provide support and reassurance to employers and voluntary organisations as necessary.